A "Retroactive Continuity" (or "Retcon" for short) is a change brought about to a preexisting world via sequels, prequels, remakes, and/or other spinoffs. Since the Compilation began with the release of Before Crisis, there has been much retconning of the Final Fantasy VII universe, additions with change how one looks at the original game, or even contradict it outright.
For our purposes, these retcons are divided up into three categories:
- Pure Additions - covering retcons that fit in neatly with the original FFVII's canon, not contradicting anything.
- Debatable Additions - covering retcons that may or may not contradict the original FFVII's canon, depending on personal interpretation.
- Contradictions - covering retcons that (of course) do contradict the original FFVII's canon.
This list is a work in progress. Please note that for the sake of completion, both major and minor retcons are covered, from entire new plot devices to simple re-translations. Of course, there are plenty of spoilers here, so tread with caution.
What isn't retcon?
In general, anything from after the original FFVII's ending is not a retcon. This includes Kadaj, Yazoo, Loz, Geostigma, Edge, and the WRO.
- List originally compiled by Reeve, updated by CloudANDTidus. Special thanks to the following for additional contributions: Kameko
and Anguipes Seraph
Last updated July 2008.
General Retcons - Covers multiple media.
- AVALANCHE existing before Corel is destroyed (BC and "Maiden").
- The Rui sisters' existence and backstory (BC and DC).
- The existence of Genesis, aka "Project G" (DC and CC).
- The existence of Shizune/Cissnei (BC and CC).
- The Planet's name being Gaia (several media).
- Rufus being alive after the Diamond WEAPON attack (AC and DC).
- Cloud's birthday being August 11 as opposed to August 19 (various official Compilation materials, FFVII Ultimania Omega).
- Cait Sith speaking with an Irish accent (English-language versions) (AC and DC).
Advent Children - Motion picture. Takes place over the course of a few days, approximately two years after the end of the original game.
- Cait Sith riding Red XIII in the flashback scene of the final battle in the Northern Crater.
- Kadaj using blue or green materia (instead of red) to summon a Bahamut monster.
Last Order - Original Animated Video included with the limited edition "Advent Pieces" AC box set. Takes place during and after the "Nibelheim incident", five years prior to the present day in the original game.
- The Turks (including Reno and Rude) being amongst the ones who pursue Zack and Cloud after their escape from Nibelheim.
- Contains several outright contradictions. For a comprehensive list, see this page.
Before Crisis - Action RPG for FOMA 900i cell phones. Begins taking place six years after the original game, but stops sometime before the events of FFVII itself.
- The existence of Turks (prior to FFVII) other than Tseng, Reno, and Rude.
- Kalm having been destroyed in the past.
- Rufus being a secret benefactor to AVALANCHE.
- The powerful summon materia Zirconiaide, and the four support materia used to help summon it.
- Veld being a past colleague of Vincent's.
- Yuffie first learns about materia.
- An oxygen tank gets stolen from the Shinra No. 26 shortly before the launch.
- The Turks' "secondary division".
- A Turk being present in Nibelheim during Sephiroth's mission there five years before FFVII.
- Nanaki having a female companion named Dinne (or Deneh) at least a year before FFVII.
Dirge of Cerberus (including Lost Episode) - Action RPG for the PlayStation 2. Takes place approximately three years after the end of the original game.
- The existence of Deepground under Midgar's surface.
- The Deepground Soldier program, as well as the Tsviets.
- More extensive details about Vincent, Lucrecia, and Hojo's past, primarily Lucrecia's research on Omega and Chaos, and her guilt regarding the Valentines.
- Vincent's father, Grimoire Valentine.
- The Shera's ancient origins.
- Reeve and Lucrecia's last names.
- At one point, a WRO peacekeeper mentions her "brother" who was a member of AVALANCHE during the time of the Midgar reactor bomings, hinting that she is the sister of either Biggs or Wedge.
- Vincent and Yuffie's presence in Midgar prior to Meteorfall.
- Shelke's orange materia.
- The existence of Omega Weapon.
- The Shinra Mansion named Shinra Manor instead.
Crisis Core - Action RPG for the PlayStation Portable. Takes place over the course of several years, up until shortly
before the original game.
- Zack's last name.
- The existence of Banora Village.
- The existences of Lazard, Dr. Hollander, and Angeal.
- Angeal owning the Buster Sword before Zack.
- A new summon called Bahamut RETSU.
- Zack coming up with the name for the bar "Seventh Heaven".
- Sephiroth specifically spending seven days in the Shinra Mansion basement.
- The possibility that Lazard is President Shinra's illegitimate son.
- Loveless originally being a poem that was adapted into a play.
- Materia Fusion: the in-game ability to fuse two pieces of Materia together to create an entirely new one.
- Genesis being present in the Mt. Nibel Mako Reactor during the mission to Nibelheim, and being the one who tells Sephiroth about his origins.
- Weiss and Nero (from Dirge of Cerberus) being members of SOLDIER.
- Sephiroth no longer appearing to hold the rank of General.
- Jenova Project G, which was run by Dr. Hollander and was responsible for the creation of Angeal and Genesis.
- The existence of the Goddess of the Planet.
- Sephiroth no longer shutting himself in the inn before disappearing into the mansion.
- SOLDIER second class wearing purple uniforms and first class wearing dark navy blue/black, while in Final Fantasy VII second class wore red and first class wore purple.
- Cloud being seen inside the Shinra building just before Nibelheim, despite him stating in the original game that this was "the first time I've ever been to the Headquarters."
"On the Way to a Smile" ("Case of Denzel") - Short story in the FFVII:AC Prologue and the US Limited Edition package for Advent Children. Takes place during the entire course of game up until the time of AC.
- Denzel's backstory and that of his family.
- Arkham and Mrs. Ruvi.
"On the Way to a Smile" ("Case of Tifa") - Short story in the FFVII:AC Prologue and the US Limited Edition package for Advent Children. Takes place between the end of the game and the time of AC.
None for any category.
"Maiden Who Travels the Planet" - Short story in the FFVII Ultimania Omega. Takes place during the time between Aeris' death and the end of the original game.
- Aeris meeting various fellow deceased characters in the Lifestream.
- Holy not working as intended, failing to stop Meteor.
"Barret" - Short story in the US Limited Edition package for Advent Children. Takes place between the end of the game and the time of AC.
- The character Old Man Sakaki, the creator of Barret's gun arm attachment.