Does anyone still use Facebook?

This forum is for threads of general content. Feel free to post anything you wish (within reasonable boundaries, of course).
Ambigore

Does anyone still use Facebook?

Post#1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:26 pm

I suppose I'm being a little provocative by using the word "still" in my title. But do you still use Facebook, or are you one of the growing legions of ex-Facebookers? Since mid-2011, the FB population has been declining in the US, Canada, UK and Russia. FB is still growing GLOBALLY as it signs up hapless noobs from developing countries, but FB usage has been falling in mature markets.

I haven't used FB for six months now. During the myspace era, FB was generally considered suitable for students, intellectuals and professional-types only. Now that the "unwashed masses" have joined, I think sophisticated early adopters are jumping ship. Facebook will probably turn into an internet ghetto over the next few years.

http://techland.time.com/2011/12/05/the-beginning-of-the-end-for-facebook/

Anguipes
Roleplay Moderator

Re: Does anyone still use Facebook?

Post#2 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:37 pm

I never was on Facebook. Have never had accounts on Twitter, Myspace, Livejournal, Tumblr... I seem to have completely missed this "social networking" thing :P

Sephiroth9611

Post#3 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:10 am

I have a Myspace account, but I never used it even when I first signed up. I do use my Facebook account, but you oldbies should be familiar with my special circumstances. FB is a good way for me to stay in contact with family whom I'd only otherwise see once or twice a year at family gatherings where I'm pretty much marginalized anyway.

I joined Twitter earlier this year, but I haven't used it much.
"Quite a thing to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."
Since October 3rd, 2000 | An old Citadel board

SOLDIERofficer81
Unflinching Android Mode: OFF

Post#4 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:40 pm

Sephiroth9611 wrote:I have a Myspace account, but I never used it even when I first signed up. I do use my Facebook account, but you oldbies should be familiar with my special circumstances. FB is a good way for me to stay in contact with family whom I'd only otherwise see once or twice a year at family gatherings where I'm pretty much marginalized anyway.

I joined Twitter earlier this year, but I haven't used it much.
Ditto, except the Twitter part. But I'm thinking about it.
"Let us never miss a step. May we never lose our friends. This is our home, our haven, our Citadel."
Citadel denizen since October 5, 2000 | SOLDIER's Final Fantasy VII Messageboard

Keefy

Post#5 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:31 am

I'm still an active facebook user. In many ways I've become quite dependant upon it for events, birthdays and general awareness of my friend's circumstances. Again, when feeling out of the loop or marginalized it's a handy thing to have.

That said, I think when my life finally moves on from this treading water period, I might take the leap and delete the account. I don't think I always react well to the opportunities it provides, and often the people I speak to most on facebook are those who I would not otherwise contact. It's nice to know what old friends are doing, but many of them are old friends for a reason, and facebook tends to give a false sense of perspective of what is important.

I also seem to use status updates exclusively as a sitcom device, with the goal of making everyone have a giggle at what a loser I am. I'm not entirely certain that this makes me happier.

Cyrus

Post#6 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:12 am

I never got on the FB bandwagon, and now I avoid it because of their shitty privacy track record (and a little out of spite), especially as many lazy-ass Web startups rely on it as their sole authentication method.

I did/do dabble in Google+, but mostly because I had already bought into the Google bandwagon years ago so they already have access to all my personal crap. No point letting a 2nd large corporation get ahold of that stuff. At any rate, I don't use G+ a ton either -- I just don't really *need* another channel in my online life, everybody I care about is already on email, Twitter or IRC.

clubbedwithspades

Post#7 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:19 pm

Facebook is my primary means of communicating with many of my friends and contacts. A facebook status even got me a job, once.
Last edited by clubbedwithspades on Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cis

Post#8 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:38 am

90% of people i've met seem to have it.

just an easy way of keeping in touch. i don't like it, but i still use it ;p

Ultimate Fantasy

Post#9 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:11 am

I use Facebook a lot as it's a very handy tool of finding stand up comedy gigs which has now become a at least decent part of my life :P

I probably like FF14 too much

Tietjen

Post#10 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:14 am

I love my facebook. At times its more a love hate relationship but that's mostly due to the app on my phone. I use it mainly to keep up to date with internet pals. :D Posting up pictures has become a recent guilty pleasure, but I don't have a ton of friends so in reality it's not the best way to showcase things. But because of facebook I was able to find extended family members and bug them. I don't really like all the game crap they have set up on it though. I live in a ghetto neighborhood in real life so a ghetto fashioned website is a taste of home. xD Except facebook can't steal my bike....

Return to “General Discussion”